Known for its rich cultural heritage, old windmills, and large flat lands, the Netherlands is a great destination to explore. Although not much bigger in size, the country is home to an incredibly diverse landscape. We present you with the list of most visited Dutch cities.
- Amsterdam: Welcoming atmosphere, exquisite architecture, and beautiful canals
- Rotterdam: An urban city, known for captivating art and Europe's largest port
- Groningen: An ultimate destination for nightlife lovers and party mongers
- The Hague: Home of the royals and several international institutions
- Maastricht: Medieval city with well preserved architecture
- Arnhem: Cultural extravaganzas and legendary mansions
- Delft: Historic town, known for its white-blue ceramics
- Utrecht: Historic city with several antique stores
The Netherlands plays host to number of regional and international fests. Besides letting you understand the Dutch culture in a better way, a social event perpetuates friendly atmosphere, which Dutch people are known for. Major events include:
- Lowlands: celebrated in the last week August, Lowlands is marked by best musical as well as theatrical performances.
- Dance Valley: one of the largest dance festivals, Dance Valley is celebrated in mid July at Spaarnwoude, near Schiphol Airport.
- King's Day: celebrated every year on the April 27th, King's Day is best seen in Amsterdam, where you would come across traditional Dutch games and special markets.
Things to Do
Cycling remains one of the most popular leisure activities among tourists. With dedicated bicycle tracks spawning across 22,000 km, it is easy to enjoy a ride virtually anywhere. You can plan a cycling tour around any of the scenic spots like, Hoge Veluwe National Park, Waterland and Zaandam Region, South Limburg, and the Green Heart. Swimming, sunbathing, and water sports are also popular outdoor activities. Notable beaches and lakes include – Frisian Lakes, Bergen, Zandvoort, West Frisian Islands, and Bloemendaal.